Wednesday 17 June 2015

A2 Coursework: Proposed Research Idea

The question: To what extent do video games demonstrate negative representations of women? 

The key areas I will be focusing on: 
  • The sexualisation of women
  • 'The damsel in distress' 
  • Discrimination of women in games and the gaming community
  • Advertisement of games 
  • The impact of our dominant ideology 

Ideas for my approach: 

For my primary research, I would like to focus on the sexualisation of women and the 'damsel in distress' stereotype. I am thinking of backing them up with the case studies of Grand Theft Auto V and Princess Peach in the Mario series. For GTA V, I will focus on the iconography associated with females in the game (strippers, prostitutes, housewives) and I may look at the poster because it sexualises women and portrays them in a negative light. I will focus on the narrative of the Mario series and how the goal of the protagonist is mostly always to rescue Princess Peach, discussing how this may impact a young audience's beliefs on how women should be treated. 

For my secondary research, I plan on looking at the audience reception to my case study games and how their responses may be triggered by the negative representation of women. I will look at a variety of websites, newspaper articles, interviews and presentations in order to triangulate my sources and to have enough evidence to back up my points. 

1 comment:

  1. Jess this is a worthwhile topic that definately needs further research, i do like that points that you are going to begin with however do remember to display your research skills by showing both sides of the argument. Current topic discussed in class about the Ladies International football side doing so well and FIFA games decision to start using the female stars in the game, do collect current article to include.

    ReplyDelete